Monday, October 17, 2011

The skinny on soda

I have been wanting to post something on soda for a long time. Here goes.....I hate soda. When I see how much of it is consumed in this country, I just cringe. When I see how much of it is consumed by kids and teenagers, I cringe more. Don't even get me started on Red Bull.

There is not one ounce of nutritional value in soda. When you drink it, you are consuming a large amount of sugar, caffeine and added chemicals. One can is equivalent to eating 10-12 sugar cubes. Do you realize what this is doing to your pancreas. No wonder diabetes is an epidemic here. Please put the soda down and drink a glass of water, what our bodies were made to drink. And don't think you are doing yourself a favor by drinking the 'diet' stuff. That is just as bad. The chemicals and artificial sweeteners in diet soda acidify your body which is toxic to your organs and ages you inside and out. Drinking diet soda has never been shown to help anyone lose weight. Again, go for the water.

When I was growing up, soda was something we had for special occasions like holidays or picnics. It certainly wasn't consumed daily. I remember being allowed to have either a glass of milk or water with dinner. Trust me, my kids would drink soda everyday if we let them. But they know that isn't possible. At dinner, they get to choose between water, and ummmmmm water. That's just the way it goes. I mean really, I don't get it, it is like allowing your child to have dessert for dinner. Who is in charge anyway? This is how my husband and I successfully limit soda in our house. (and it will work for you!!) When they ask for it, we simply say, NO! It is amazing how easy it is. Eventually, they stop asking.

Please limit your child's soda consumption. Their pancreases and teeth will one day thank you. Guide them to healthier drink choices.

The thing is, we get addicted to the high levels of sugar and caffeine. I know I did (and the soda companies know this as well). I use to crave Coca Cola. I was like a drug addict. It took about a month before my body stopped wanting it and now it doesn't even taste good. I promise you, cutting out the soda will lead to not only healthier drink choices, but also food ones. It will be the beginning of a healthier family and a healthier you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment